The Killebrew Ranch, originally known as the Hamilton Ranch, was established in Roberts County in 1889 by F.N. Hamilton. C.P. Killebrew, Hamilton's only living child, took over management of the ranch in 1934. W.N. Killebrew built the ranch's wooden windmill tower out of redwood in 1944. He and his wife used a team of horses to raise the windmill tower, which was used to pump water for the livestock at the ranch headquarters.
Established in 1931, The Rural Electric Administration (R.E.A.) was created to bring electricity to rural areas such as Roberts County. In these areas, the cost of providing electricity was prohibitive since the ranches were so vast and isolated. In 1958, the R.E.A. offered to bring electricity to ranchers in Roberts County if they paid the cost of constructing the electrical lines. As part of this agreement, the Killebrew windmill was moved a few miles east of the ranch headquarters, where it still stands today.
The Killebrew windmill is still in operation, pumping water for ranch livestock, and is the oldest working wooden windmill in Roberts County. Killebrew Insurance proudly uses the windmill as a key component of our brand. Much like the windmill, Killebrew Insurance has consistently served the Permian Basin since 1974. We are an independent, hardworking, family-owned business that continues to serve our clients with strength and reliability—no matter which way the wind blows.